Dating back to the ancient Mayans and Aztec, cocoa has been used for its many benefits and was once considered the “food of the gods.” Cocoa is one of the richest sources of polyphenols, powerful antioxidants that are known for their anti-inflammatory effects. Polyphenols have also been found to be beneficial to skin health.
Some of the health benefits of cocoa:
- Rich in Magnesium and Potassium.
- Flavanols in cocoa are believed to reduce blood pressure and improve nitric oxide levels and enhance the function of blood vessels.
- Reduces bad (LDL) cholesterol and has blood thinning properties similar to the effects of aspirin.
- Studies have shown that the flavanols in cocoa can improve blood flow to the brain and also improve brain function. They may reduce your risk of age related neurodegenerative diseases such as parkinsons and alzheimers.
- The flavanols in Cocoa have been shown to have a mood boosting effect by boosting serotonin levels.