More than just for flavouring our foods, real vanilla also contains many health benefits. Vanilla is derived from the orchid of the vanilla genus and is one of the most popular and recognizable flavours in the world.
Real vs. Imitation
Real vanilla is free of any colourings, flavourings, preservatives and additives. Unlike artificial vanilla flavouring, which is commonly made from lignin, a fragrant liquid made from distilling wood tar creosote.
Benefits of real vanilla:
- Vanilla is believed to be an appetite suppressant, and the active ingredient, 'vanillin' has been shown to reduce cholesterol, and boost metabolism.
- Vanilla is rich in antioxidants, which help to prevent the breakdown of cells and promote regeneration of healthy cells and protect your immune system.
- Vanilla has been used for centuries to reduce inflammation.
- Can help improve skin conditions, such as acne and help to reduce scarring.
- The smell of vanilla is a mood lifter and is often used for aromatherapy purposes to reduce stress and anxiety.
- The scent of vanilla is commonly used to relieve feelings of nausea and vanilla infused tea is believed to soothe upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.