5 Facts About Passionflower That You Didn't Know
Passionflower (passiflora incarnata) is a climbing vine plant that grows native to Central and South America, as well as the southeastern United States. Commonly used for seizures, insomnia, and hysteria, some people have also found success in using passionflower to help combat anxiety, stress, ADHD, pain, and many other conditions. We use passion flower in our unique Sleepy Time gummies found here. In this blog, we’ll tell you five facts about passionflower that will shock you! Read on to learn more.
More than just a pretty flower
These purple and white blossomed plants are not just pretty to look at, they’re incredibly helpful to ingest for many reasons… unless you’re pregnant! Passionflower can also support a healthy hormone balance using fact number 5 found below ↓ , and may also help make the transition to menopause smoother.
Without further adieu, here are five neat facts about passionflower you probably didn't know:
5 Impressive Facts about Passion Flower
- Do not take passionflower if you are pregnant. Passionflower may induce uterine contractions.
- Passion fruit flowers can have both male and female parts, and can be self-pollinating aka self-compatible! Neat!
- Passionflower has very strong anti-inflammatory benefits which means not only will you rest better, your inflammation will reduce so you'll feel better all around. (1)
- These butterfly-attracting flowers also have a deterrent built in to prevent butterflies from laying eggs on their leaves. Called ‘egg mimic’ the passion flower has spotted leaves to try and convince female butterflies that eggs have already been laid. This helps the plant guarantee its own survival, as the pretend eggs keep caterpillars away, preventing them from munching on its leaves.
- Scientists believe passionflower works by increasing levels of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA lowers the activity of some brain cells, making you feel more relaxed. (2)
Nutramin Sleepy Time Gummies with Passion Flower
You’ll find passion flower alongside lemon balm and vegetable melatonin in our Sleepy Time herbal sleep gummy. These gummies are an incredible way to drift off into dreamland with no next-day grogginess, and thanks to our unique blend of natural herbs – no dependencies. Sleep great, feel rested, and wake up ready to start your day.