Delicious Deep Fried Onion Rings, Zucchini Fries & Chips
Low Carb, Gluten-Free, high protein onion rings, Zucchini french fries, and chips? Yes Please! Lose weight and feel great with healthy fried food!
- 1 large white onion, sliced thickly and separated (into onion rings)
- 1 zucchini, sliced into bite-sized chips
- 1 zucchini, cut into french fry-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (i.e. coconut, soy, almond)
- Dried herbs to taste (jalapeño, garlic, etc.)
- 4 scoops Natural Nutralean
DIRECTIONS:BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Soak onion slices in a bowl filled with cold water to ensure crispiness is maintained.
- Set up three separate dipping stations to bread your treats!
- Combine milk with eggs whites in the first bowl. Whisk until well-blended.
- Add 2 scoops of Natural Nutralean - on its own - to the second bowl. Whisk to ensure there are no clumps.
- Add herbs, parmesan cheese and 2 scoops of Natural Nutralean in the third bowl. Mix until well-blended, ensuring there are no clumps.
- One by one, dip onion slices in egg & milk wash, shaking off excess moisture.
- Next, dip them in Natural Nutralean mix, tapping off excess breading.
- Dip onion slices for the second time in egg wash.
- Then dip each in herbs & parmesan cheese mix, shaking off excess breading.
- Place each onion slice on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (to save making a mess!)
Zucchini French Fries:
- Repeat same steps (above) for french fries
- Repeat same steps (above) for chips
FRYING PAN METHOD:
- Make sure you choose an oil with a higher smoke point. I used avocado oil, but you can use olive oil if you are careful with the temperature.
- Add the oil to a deep pot/pan, less than half full. Use enough oil so that you can submerge a small batch of food completely.
- Preheat the oil to the cooking temperature. Use a probe thermometer held upright in the center of the pan of oil to check the temperature so it's between 190 °C / 375 °F and 225 °C / 440°F. Make sure your thermometer can display temperatures up to 260 °C / 500 °F.
- Cook food in small batches to minimize the cooling that occurs when you add food. And make sure you warm the food to room temperature before frying it. The temperature will drop when cooking, so let it come back up between batches.
- Pat food dry with paper towels before frying. External moisture on foods can cause oil to splatter violently.
- Everything will cook very fast. Just 30 seconds may be enough!
- Low carb High Protein Onion Rings, Zucchini French Fries & Chips.
- Drain the cooked food on paper towels. Absorbing excess oil removes much of the fat - but don’t remove all of the oil! Remember, research now shows that fats have a protective effect on heart disease! Plus, that’s what makes it taste so good! :)
WARNING!! Be safe! Don’t get too close to the oil. Use long tongs, a slotted deep-fry spoon, or a frying basket to insert and remove foods gently. Remember: Never use water, flour, or sugar to put out a grease fire. Never try to carry a flaming pot outdoors. To put out a fire, use baking soda, a damp towel, or a fire extinguisher specifically designed for grease fires.
- Remove paddle from Actifry and place foods in a single layer. Cook on appropriate setting. (Veggies)
Zucchini Fries - makes 5 servings, Nutrition for one
Zucchini crisps - Makes 4 servings, Nutrition for one.